POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Media woes : Media woes Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:19:16 EDT (-0400)
  Media woes
From: Jeff Lee
Date: 18 Jun 1999 12:37:54
Message: <376a75e2@news.povray.org>
I've been trying and trying to get media to produce realistic flames
like halo used to, but to no avail.

My first problem stems from the fact that an emitting media doesn't seem
to allow the user specify a transmit or filter value, like halo used to
do, so flames disappear against certain background colours.  Adding an
absorption media in the same object helps some, but (a) it doesn't seem
to produce the same results, and (b) it slows things down even more.

My second problem is that when I introduce turbulence, the media looks
grainy no matter what I do to try and fix it.  I've tried increasing the
samples, using finer anti-aliasing, and so on, but I can't seem to get
smooth blends of colour like I did with a relatively low-sample (and
even un-antialiased) halo.

The usual advice I've seen is to go back to 3.0 for those scenes, but
that means that other advances -- such as Bezier-spline lathes and
prisms -- then cannot be used.

So if anyone can help me understand how to get media to look like the
fire and flame which the old halos could produce, I'd greatly appreciate
it.

--
Jeff Lee         shi### [at] gatenet         http://www.gate.net/~shipbrk/